Tuesday, March 24, 2015

We used to make things in this country. #184: White Mop Wringer Company of Canada, Paris, Ontario

In a previous post, I featured a dustpan that was well-made, but had no markings other than "White."  At that time, I didn't have any idea who the manufacture might have been.  Turns out, the answer was in my shop.

I happened to be emptying an old heavy galvanized steel mop bucket I use for holding scraps from my table saw when I noticed the "White" name by the handle. Turns out, it still had its original decal:





The White Mop Wringer Company was founded in Fultonville, New York in 1893, producing wooden mop wringers.  By the late 1920's, they had turned to steel for the manufacture of these devices. Apparently, a Canadian subsidiary was established in Paris.  For decades, the mop wringer business was good and, in 1963, it attracted the attention of Electrolux, which bought the company and made it into a division.  At some point, the company moved its offices to Florida. In 2003, the company was acquired by Impact Products of Toledo, Ohio.   At that time, Impact was looking to outsource the White products from overseas.  I don't believe the White name was continued after its acquisition.

Below, ad from one of their competitors back in the day:



1 comment:

Robyn Seitz said...

I work for the former White Mop Wringer Co. of Canada and you are correct, once Impact purchased White, the name ceased to be used other than the logo remaining in place on the items the original factory used to manufacture. You will still find the White bowtie on the "Gator" containers (large waste receptacles), their plastic bucket and wringers and a few mop sticks.