Sunday, April 12, 2015

"Happi-Time" trademark appropriation


Years ago, Sears, Roebuck & Company used this "Happi-Time" logo on some of their toys.  I have a wall-mounted metal box with this logo mounted above my Standard Modern lathe to hold tooling, and I like this logo because time in my shop really is my Happy Time.

I thought it might make a neat design for a T-shirt, so I went looking for a cleaner copy.  Below, the original registered trademark:

This trademark for "educational toys" was filed for registration by Sears in July 1944, and registered in January 1945.  It expired in 1986.

In April 2007, the Schylling Incorporated of Mclean Virginia filed for the trademark below to be used with "watches and clocks":

It was cancelled in 2014.  Schylling's motto is "Creating the Future, Reviving the Past."

Still, if that wasn't just a blatant rip-off, I don't know what is.

Still, Schylling has now gone the way of most firms these days, grist for the money guys.  According to Business Wire, in August 2013:

"Schylling Associates, Inc., a leading independent toy and gift designer, manufacturer and distributor, has been acquired by investment firms Crofton Capital, LLC and Gladstone Investment Corporation."


No comments: