Saturday, January 21, 2017

Nut and Rethreader wrenches


Above, two Indestro examples of what are commonly called "Nut and Tap" wrenches.  The centre hole served two purposes.  First, it could be fit over a tap to act as a tap handle.  Second, a bolt inserted through the holes on a collection of such wrenches would hold them together in a set.


1935

Below, a stamped open-end wrench also made by Indestro.  The interesting feature is the 3/8-24 die in the centre.







Below, from the 1935 Indestro catalogue:



I've got almost a full set of the Indestros (I've just finally turned up the 7/16- 20 and I don't have the "attractive carton."). These were made from hardened high carbon steel, and I still find a use for them as thread chasers.

Below, a similar wrench marked "Astra."  I don't know who made this one.  It incorporates a die for a 5/16-24 thread.








Below, one made by the Canadian tool company Gray, with a 1/4-28 thread die:



Finally, a 5/16-24 die in the middle of a "Wizard" wrench made by the Wakefield Wrench Company:



I find it curious that every one of these wrenches I've stumbled across has a die only for the fine thread series.  Possibly, fine threads were more likely to be damaged?  Anyway, an interesting idea for a wrench that no longer seems to be offered by tool makers today.

No comments: